Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reviews and Summer Reading Lists (May 31)




I posted a variety of book reviews this week and I hope that you had a chance to read them and leave comments, I definitely appreciate your comments. My husband, Greg, wrote a review of The Age of the Unthinkable by Joshua Ramos, a non fiction book in the publishers category of History and Political Science. You can read the review here. I wrote several reviews on YA (Young Adult) books. Obama-The Historic Journey, Young Reader's Edition , published by The New York Times, a beautiful book filled with 200 photographs. You can read the review and see some examples of the photographs, here. I also reviewed another YA book, Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. A powerful book, read my review here.



Summer Reading?


Summer is around the corner and my son will be out of school soon. I am hoping that he'll be reading a lot over the summer as he does love to read. The warm weather, swimming, camps and fun will definitely be competition for his attention. We are going to sign up for the summer reading programs with Barnes & Noble and Half Price Books, that I posted about in my Summer Reading and Free books post, here.

I don't usually make a list of what books I'll read for the summer. After reading Ti's post about Summer Reading lists,here at Book Chatter and Other Stuff it got me thinking. I will be spending more time reading at the pool when my son has swimming lessons and anytime I can squeeze in more reading time! I am going to give it some serious thought and come up with a list of summer reads. Do you use a summer reading list?

















3 comments:

  1. I would love a hammock like that! :) I was upstairs the other day, and while looking out the window I noticed that my neighbor has a very cool hammock set up in her backyard. Now I'm trying not to be jealous!

    I'm signing the boys up for summer reading at the library too. Our nearest Barnes and Noble is an hour and a half drive away, so I didn't tell the boys about their summer program.

    Only one more week of school and then the summer fun (& craziness) begins for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hammock looks wonderfully inviting...sigh! No firm summer reading list for me yet, but lots of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I don't have a list yet, but will take recommendations from various publications and blogs. I'm compiling a different sort of list: the Best Dirty Books. Not that kind of dirty. I mean books meant to be read outdoors because they carry a whiff of salt spray or the grit of sand. Some that meet the standard: Dune by Frank Herbert, In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson, and Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    If you have other recommendations, let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!