Friday, May 1, 2009

Summer Reading Programs and Free Books

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all."
— Jacqueline Kennedy

I can't believe it is already the first day of May and summer is around the corner. Summer is a great time for kids to enjoy reading without pressure. They can also earn free books. There are two great programs for kids to explore this summer and the added bonus is a free book. My son has participated in many summer reading programs and loved keeping his reading log and earning prizes. At our local library summer reading program, he is now old enough to be a volunteer so he is looking forward to that. I'm glad that he is still young enough to take advantage of these two great reading programs.


Barnes & Noble has a wonderful Summer Reading program where kids can earn a FREE book when they read 8 books this summer. Kids use a summer reading journal sheet where they list the books and a short comment about their favorite part of the book. Children bring their completed Reading Journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 26th & September 7th, 2009 and they will get a coupon for a FREE book. The book is from a select list of books in the store. My son is 10 and has participated in this program several times and has always enjoyed being part of this program and the books that he has received. You can read all of the details and download a summer reading journal here at the Barnes & Noble website. There is a limit of one form per school-age child (grades 1-6).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



This is a new one for me, we have never participated in this program through Half Price Books. It sounds great. Feed Your Brain summer reading program starts on June 1st and runs through July 31st (2 months). Kids who read for at least 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week can turn in their reading log for a $3 HPB shopping coupon. They can turn in one each week. This program is for kids 10 and under. You can read all the details, find locations and download a copy of the reading log here at the Half Price Books website. You can also pick up the reading logs at your local HPB.


8 comments:

  1. I love summer reading programs! They remind me of my youth. I spent so many summers holed up reading Nancy Drew and Beverly Cleary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed this info on to my sis who has a nine year old reading phenom :) Thanks, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about the B & N program. Our library does something similar over the summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo! I'd forgotten about this program. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love summers when I can read to my hearts' content!


    BTW, everything distils into reading is my new blog. Please do visit it, subscribe to it or follow it! Do help me spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are encouraging the kids to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read this post I got a little nostalgic because it took me back to the days when my two boys were little and we participated in these summer reading programs. I'm so happy to see that you do this with your little guy!!! Thanks for the great info!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads-up on these programs! Both of these stores are walking distance from my house - will have to sign the girl up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!