Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Salon~ Holiday Themed Books









We weren't hit by the major nor'easter that hit the east coast but we do have snow, cold and ice here in Ohio. I was out yesterday and there were many car accidents and cars that had slid off the road. I have learned as I get older and as a parent having a child in the car that it is not worth rushing in this kind of weather. I take my time and go easy and hope and pray I get to and from home safely. My brother and niece drove up from the south yesterday and got stuck for 7 hours on the turnpike. I can't imagine how hard that must have been, especially with a young child. Fortunately, they had enough gas, food and provisions and a portable DVD player so my niece could watch movies. We will be seeing them today and my son is very excited to see his cousin as it's been a few years.



~Holiday Themed Books~











I've been reading several holiday themed books in the past few weeks. They have been perfect for me to read with so much going in with family issues and my grandmothers declining health. I find that for the most part they are light, inspirational and meaningful. So far, I've read and enjoyed Christmas Cake by Lynne Hinton (You can read my review, here) and Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb (You can read my review, here). I am currently reading Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs which I was thrilled to win an advanced copy at Peeking Between the Pages. I am a fan of the series. I don't enjoy reading these type of holiday themed books at other times of the year...what about you? Which holiday themed books are you reading or are your favorites?




7 comments:

  1. I am hoping that my turn for Wishin and Hopin at the local library happens before Easter :)

    Stay warm and safe --- and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that your brother and niece were stuck on the Turnpike...yikes!! Glad that they got there safely though!! Holiday reading is fun and you're right I don't often read these books outside of the holidays. I just finished A Christmas Carol the other day...loved it. Right now I'm reading Christmas is Murder...doesn't sound too jolly huh?

    Take care!!
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I love your cozy cat reading : )
    I love to read Christmas books between Thanksgiving and Christmas but that's it. I can't think of any other holiday that would have dedicated fiction but maybe I'm not thinking hard enough *smile* My favorite Christmas book this year was Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb - thoroughly enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't get what you call real weather here, but when we get any kind of weather, no one remembers how to drive in it and it's just a mess. If everyone would just leave 15 min earlier, they wouldn't have to rush so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slow & easy is a good thing in these parts :) I've been shopping in your town lately, we may have even seen each other! After the holidays we will have to get together. Enjoy your holiday with your Grandmother and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to reread several holiday stories around this time of the year.

    They include:

    Ngario Marsh's Tied Up In Tinsel because I love her wit and humor and the story is just a gem which I wish someone would turn into a movie preferably with Robert Downey Jr in some role.

    O'Henry's Gift of the Magi because it makes me cry each and every time when I read it. (I know! Why do I want to cry, but it you read it you will know why.)

    Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory. I remember first reading this because it was in the book I bought that had Breakfast at Tiffany's. I read it after I finished that, and to this day when I think of the story I hear my husband's grandmothers voice. She was a wonderful lady who did not resemble the aunt described in the story but who I feel was a 'kindred soul' as Anne of Green Gables would say. Years later but still many years ago, I heard on the radio this story read by some man and he was wonderful. His voice would change and he just nailed the reading of the story.

    May you all have good readings during this holiday time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 7 hours stuck on the road? That would be awful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!