Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"The Greatest gift is the passion for reading..." by Elizabeth Hardwick


The greatest gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination.


~ Elizabeth Hardwick ~




I found this wonderful quote about reading on facebook yesterday. It was posted by one of my favorite local indie bookstores, Joseph Beth Booksellers. I wanted to share it with my bookish friends and readers who would appreciate it. I was not familiar with the writer, Elizabeth Hardwick, so I did some research via google. I found that she was a " ... critic, essayist, fiction writer and co-founder of The New York Review of Books." (Information from her obituary in the New York Times, she died in 2007 at the age of 91). You can read more about Elizabeth Hardwick and some of her essays, here at The New York Review of Books.






7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing --- I will have to file this quote away for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is indeed a lovely quote and one that I wish to file away for future reference.

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote...she sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She took the words right out of my mouth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quote, Bonnie. I've never thought of following Joseph-Beth on Facebook. Next Thursday nightI think I'm going to the book signing for Tracy Chevalier. Let me know if you are interested in coming too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!