Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday Salon: After the Holidays



It's been a busy week as my son had to go to school until Wednesday as they had a later start to the school year due to construction. He also had an orchestra concert at school (he's in the 5th grade), he plays the bass and yes...it's taller than him, even though it's technically a junior bass! It's a heavy instrument and weighs close to 50 lbs. I dread carrying that thing as it is so heavy and awkward as it is so large. This is his second year playing the bass and we were all quite impressed at how much they've improved and have moved up to playing more serious music such as Russian Music Box and Bach. Last year, the highlight was jingle bells (which we were still very impressed with). We were very proud of him! He was also very happy as he had family (besides just his parents) at his concert for the first time. My brother and niece were here from Florida and my sister in law was able to make it. Here's a picture of the bass...the boy is not my son.







We had a nice and quiet Christmas but I didn't get any books under the tree. I did give my son the Guinness Book of World Records 2010 as he loves these kinds of books. To be honest, we are all trying to read through the books that we have so we cut back this year. My hubby did buy me a much needed Cuisinart coffee machine as my current coffee machine is not working very well. I can't wait to use it.


Books reviewed:


Currently reading:

Cherries in Winter:My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard Times by Suzan Colon

Giveaway:

My Off The Bookshelf Giveway ends on December 3oth. I am giving away 5 ARC copies and they include:


Go HERE, for details and to enter.

8 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good Christmas. I didn't ask for any books this year either, but Serena got me one to read for the Vietnam challenge and a gift certificate. I am looking forward to going book shopping, though. :)

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas. I know what you mean about the bass - my son played the baritone and that thing was huge and heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie! Glad you had a good Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thing is huge!!! I would love to hear a band concert where children played these instruments!! I'm glad that you got a new coffee machine..can't live without the morning cup of joe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in the orchestra when I was in 5th grade, but I played portable instruments since my parents did not own a car and I had to walk! I played the flute and the clarinet! I cannot play them today though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a terrific Christmas. Hope you son enjoys playing his musical instrument,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only got a couple of books for Christmas, but it was ok since, like you, I have a lot of books to read already.

    Very cool that you got a new coffeemaker! I would love to get an espresso machine someday (but am not sure if it would make that much of a difference since I don't make that good of coffee with a regular coffee machine).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I remember those grade school concerts. The first year strings are almost painful to listen to but the kids make such an improvement by the second year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!