Monday, December 7, 2009

Sunday Salon: Catching up on a Monday...



It's been quiet around here and I wanted to post an update. I've been distracted from reading and blogging due to some family issues. My grandmother is very ill and it looks like she is at the end stage of her life. It's very sad, she just turned 92 and has had a full and wonderful life. She's very special to me and our family and she's given much love to us all. Family are in from out of town and we are all surrounding her with love.

I haven't been reading or visiting blogs much and I hope for that to change when things settle down here. I did finish The Recipe Club by Andrea Israel & Nancy Garfinkel and I liked it a lot. I am a fan of epistolary style novels, books about friendships and foodie books so this book fit the bill for me. It even has recipes, ones that I'd like to try. I will post a review soon. Thanks to Caitlin at FSB for sending me a copy of this book.

My book club is meeting this week and I wasn't able to finish the December book. I read about 25 pages and it was either my mood and/or the superficiality of the book that I just couldn't take at the moment. This is the first book that I've ditched since I've been in my book club, which has been about 7 years. We are having a book swap at the book club and I have my book picked out and ready to be wrapped. I hope to be able to make it to the book club meeting.

I did send out my Book Blogger Holiday Swap package and hope that my secret santa enjoys the gifts that I sent.

I've had to add comment moderation here as I've been getting a ton of spam the past few weeks...what is up with that?! Is anyone else being bombarded with this...posts in foreign languages and ads for medicine and websites?




7 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother but it's good that the family is able to spend some time with her.

    It's funny. When I had my blogger site I never got spam. Never. Now I use Wordpress and I get some spam, but my old blog is getting hit left and right now! I am going to take the old site down in January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Spend as much time as you can with her - we'll be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother, Bonnie. How lucky you are to have had her for so long and how nice that so many people are able to be together for her now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear about your special grandmother. Take it easy Bonnie. Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking of you, your family, and your Grandma....(((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother!

    I've been getting hit by a lot of spam lately too. Thankfully most of it is targeted at older posts, so I don't have to worry about it as much (since I only have comment moderation set up on posts older than 14 days). It seems to be a good middle ground so that only the occasional spam gets through. I hope that it tapers off for all of us though.

    I'm impressed that you haven't skipped a book in seven years! There are two books just this year alone that I haven't read for book club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope she isn't in any pain. The spammers have been hitting me hard lately too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!