Friday, December 11, 2009

December Book Club Meeting





My book club met for our December meeting a few nights ago. We discussed Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen (which I borrowed a copy from the library). I did not read the book which is a first for me for book club. Actually, I read about 25 pages and the book just didn't hold my interest. I've been focusing on my grandmother who is at the end stage of her life and my son has had some health issues so I've been distracted from reading. We did have an interesting discussion about the book and Anna Quindlen as an author.



We always have a Holiday book exchange in December and each of us brings a wrapped new or used book and draw numbers. It's always fun to see what each other gets and it also gives us new ideas for book club choices. I received a copy of Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and was thrilled as it is a book that I've been interested in reading and do not own a copy.




We will be reading and discussing The Help by Kathryn Stockett for January. I read and reviewed this book earlier in the year and loved it. It is one of my favorite books of 2009 and I'm so excited to discuss it with my book club. I'm going to try and reread it if I can. This is the perfect book to discuss at the start of a new year.





FTC Disclosure: I am an Amazon Associate.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great evening with the book club. I'll be thinking of you as you are dealing with your Grandmother's health issues. Don't forget to take care of yourself during this time...because I know that is easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went to the meeting even though you didn't read the book; meetings are about being social as much as they are about the book.

    My group's going to add The Help to our list, I believe. But our list is HUGE! We may not get to it until 2011! (but at least it'll be available in paper)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly understand why you've been distracted from reading. Take care of yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're doing The Help in February and I can't wait. Enjoy Gilead. I loved it; just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're book club sounds like a lot of fun! I love it when my book club chooses books that I've already read and loved. It's less work, and fun to discuss a favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma...that would easily distract me from so many things and then to add your son's health issues!!

    I hope that the Book Club meeting gave you a bit of a distraction. I want to read the book you got too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your book club sounds great Bonnie. Take your time with your reading. I can't wait to read The Help. I have only heard outstanding reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are taking care of yourself. I am very sorry to hear about your Grandmother, and your son.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!