Monday, November 9, 2009

Review: Oprah Book Club "What Language Is That" by Uwem Akpan


What Language Is That is the third story of the short story collection in Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan.

This story is quite short at eleven pages in length compared to the other stories in this book. For me, this was an endearing story of the power of unspoken language and connection between two young kindergarten girls of different faiths and backgrounds in Ethiopia. It reminded me of my very first best friend around that age and the connection that we had. When you are connected to someone at a deep level you can communicate without words and understand one another.


This is an Oprah Book Club Selection , there is an Oprah's Book Club Webcast Live Tonight with the author Uwem Akpan. It starts at 9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT, go to Oprah.com for more details. I haven't finished the book yet but I plan to listen to the Webcast tonight.



Here is a video with some thoughts Oprah shares about What Language Is That :







*This book is my own personal copy. I am an Amazon Associate.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely want to read this book but I have dial-up so no Oprah for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you're looking at the individual stories in the book. I have this one on my shelf and have been meaning to read it for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!