Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday Salon: Summer Reading & Blog Changes










It's been awhile since I've written a Sunday Salon post and it's so nice to finally have some time off. I started a new job last fall, working in the schools part-time. I'm an Occupational Therapist and this was the first time I had worked in the schools as my work experience had been with adults primarily and I had taken many years off to stay at home raising my son. I had a lot to learn but I loved the work and I worked  in  a great school sysem with wonderful teachers and students. Part of my job was writing reports and evaluations which were done online, usually at home which was great to work from home. This amount of writing took away from my blogging and book review writing here on my blog. As many of my readers may have noticed, I haven't been writing as much these past months but that will change this summer. I am fortunate to have the summer off and I have more time to read and blog. I also have catching up to do on books that I've read and not written reviews for. Even my book club friends have noticed that I haven't been writing many book reviews here about our monthly discussions. I will do my best to catch up on our book club picks and discussions, we've read some great books and have had some interesting discussions. I also have stacks of books to read and books on my Kindle to indulge in. There is no shortage of reading material in our home.

There have been a lot of issues with Blogger these past few months and I've considered moving to Wordpress but don't know if I want to learn a whole new system. I've set up a site there for my blog and have been testing it but it's not as user friendly as Blogger is. I would love a new look but don't have the know how and skills to do it myself. So, my husband came up with a great idea to use the drawing that Rachel Renee Russell (Author of the Dork Diary series) created for my blog as my header picture. He created this mirror picture using the original drawing and I love how it looks. I had originally had a picture of a beautiful window and flower box that I took in Montmartre in Paris, France as my header picture here. You can see the picture to the left in my sidebar and click on the picture to read the background story. Rachel added Nikki Maxwell, the character in Dork Diaries to a drawing based on this photograph including the window and flower box. What do you think of the new look?





7 comments:

  1. I like the new header. Very cute. Yes, Blogger has had some problems lately and I've thought about going to my own domain or something, but I get very tired thinking about making big changes to my blog. I'll likely just stick with things as they are. Glad we'll see more of you, Bonnie, but certainly understandable when life gets busier or whatnot. I suspect that we are all still around and glad to hear from you when you have time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unusual and eye catching header!
    Glad you are back to blogging! Have a great reading week!

    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your new header too Bonnie! I got mad at Blogger too with all their issues but it seems to be fine now. I'm not going to move to wordpress but I had heard it wasn't that user friendly so I'm staying put. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, like the new header, but I do miss the old one as I LOVED it. Paris holds a lot of special memories for me!
    It is a nice feeling to know that you can look forward to a summer of reading. I work in a school too, and always look to summer for just that reason!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new header and totally understand about you not having time to read and write! Glad to see that you're going to take some time for yourself this summer Bonnie!! I've often been tempted to go to Wordpress but like you I don't want to learn a new site so I'm staying put!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that you have the summer off we should get together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Find out how 1,000's of people like YOU are working for a LIVING from home and are fulfilling their dreams right NOW.

    Get daily ideas and instructions for generating THOUSAND OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME for FREE.

    CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!