Saturday, September 20, 2008

Book Review: The Long Walk Home by Will North


The Long Walk Home

Description: The miracle of love after loss and longing The Long Walk Home is a story about grief and hope, about love and loss, and about two people struggling with the agonizing complexities of fidelity–to a spouse, to a moral code, to each other, and to a passion neither thought would ever appear again. By turns lyrical and gripping, set amid a landscape of breathtaking beauty and unpredictable danger, this is a story you will not soon forget.


It was the beautiful cover art that drew me to this book. The charm of the bold red door with the green boots resting on the doorstep were very inviting. I have a thing for beautiful, bold doors that are charmingly decorated with flowers and statues and other personal decor. When I was in Europe I noticed this trend or custom and on my walks and tours was drawn to these homes. I assume that this door represents the Bed and Breakfast cottage that the main character Fiona runs and operates in Wales. There is also a lovely black and white photo inside that shows a cottage that looks homey and lovely and makes one want to find a place like this to visit. For me, this novel was charming and homey and a novel about love that can blossom at any time in your life, even when it is unexpected. Alec comes to Wales to scatter the ashes of his ex-wife and best friend. He meets Fiona, who is unhappily married, when he stops along his walk across England, to find a room at her Bed and Breakfast. The story reflects life in Wales and the charm of the village where Fiona lives and the sheep farm that is also part of their property. The story goes full circle where Fiona and Alex must figure out where their love can go and if it is meant to be. For me, this was an enjoyable and relaxing read. I loved reading about life in Wales, the village and small country feel of shopping at stores that are not chains and being part of a community that cares about each other. For most people the saying is true that you can't judge a book by it's cover but in this case with The Long Walk Home, you can judge a book by it's cover and will be happy that you did! My only suggestion would be to avoid reading the Prologue until the end, it is only 2 pages but it does give away much of the ending of the story. I would wait until you finish the book to read it.

You can check out the author Will North's website here and take a walking tour across England.

5 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I noticed the cover of this book a few days ago when it appeared on your blog. It attracted my attention, for sure. I'm glad to hear you liked the book. It's going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a really beautiful cover-I love it. The books sounds really good too-I will add it to the list. I really dislike though when they give away too much in the beginning-I mean really, why do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, that cover is gorgeous!

    It reminded me of Europe, too.

    I enjoyed your review. This sounds like a book I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, that's one beautiful cover. In a way, it reminds me of House and Home (which will be headed your way this week). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys for the great comments! The cover definitely drew me in to the book! I do think cover art can make a difference in the appeal of a book!

    Literatehousewife-I agree, House and Home has a beautiful cover also. I can't wait to get it and read it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!