Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Broken Harbor ~ Book Talk







What Broken Harbor is about:


Broken Harbor is the fourth novel in Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad novels. Mick "Scorcher" Kennedy is the Murder Squad's top detective and plays by the book and gets put in charge of the biggest murder case of his career. He ends up choosing rookie partner, Richie, which ends up to be a challenge in itself. Their case, the violent assault and murder of a family in a half built and abandoned luxury home development in Broken Harbor which also holds past memories for Mick. 

Why did I choose to read this book?

I read Tana French's first book, In the Woods, earlier this year. I liked the writing style, detail and character development. Although, I did find the novel drawn out and felt like the story could have been told with less detail. I didn't read the authors next two books  but this one caught my interest and I decided to give it a try. 

Recommend? I have mixed feelings about this. I did find Broken Harbor more engaging than the first book, and my interest was held throughout most of the book. I found the character development engaging and the characters were complex but not hard to follow. I found a few things near the ending that didn't seem realistic  and I did find myself skimming pages and did not miss the points of the story. The author did a great job in the creepiness factor with the psychological bents as I did find the story invading my dreams at night. I had to put it aside and read it during the day. I've had this happen before so it just may be my own subconscious sensitivity to psychological thrillers. I believe that if you are a fan of  police & psychological thrillers that you will enjoy this book and if you are a fan of Tana French and her writing you will most definitely enjoy Broken Harbor. 

Book Talk: In my back to blogging goals, I am trying to write my reviews in a simpler, quicker manner as if I was sharing my thoughts with a friend. I am patterning my reviews after my blogger friend Staci from Life In The Thumb and her Bookish Thoughts posts. I admire her heartfelt honesty and ability to get to the point and enjoy reading her Bookish Thoughts reviews. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this review style. I may tweak it as I go along but for now it is a great way for me to get reviews written quickly and with less pressure. 

Source: Public Library

8 comments:

  1. It's fantastic, Bonnie! Tells me exactly what I need to know about the book and your feelings towards it. I've still not tried a Tana French book but may someday. Reviews are always mixed on her books. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I think this review style is fine for me. I don't mind reading reviews or thoughts about books that I haven't picked up yet. Of course, I also sometimes read the end of the book first (horrors!). LOL

    I'm looking forward to BROKEN HARBOR and what you shared keeps me intrigued. Plus, you liked IN THE WOODS, as I did, and not everyone had a good experience with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new review form, Bonnie. I haven't read any of TF's books but I know many people who do and like them. I tend not to read the genre but the Ireland setting tempts me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping back to look around again.

    I am an e-mail subscriber, but wanted to look anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read some of French's work but want to start at the beginning. I think I'll like her books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got this one coming up soon. I've never read any of French's books before and have been looking forward to it. Thanks for helping me have more realistic expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie, I like this style. I always say do what works for you. I haven't read any of this series yet but I will one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this style causes less stress and you're happy with it, then I am, too! :)

    Like I mentioned already (in the comments on my post), read The Likeness.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!