This book is the 3rd book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series. The first book, Diary of a Wimpy Kid debuted in 2007. The second book, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules was released in 2008. This third book, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw was just released on January 13th. According to a Shelf Awareness newsletter: "Some 3,000 people attended Kinney's appearance that night at the Barnes & Noble in Carle Place, N.Y., on Long Island". In this slow retail market of book selling, it's great to see excitement over a book and books are selling!! This book sold 80,000 copies on the day it was released.
Why, do you wonder that I am sharing this with you? My 10 year old son loves this series. He thinks they are terribly funny and inhales the books when he has read them! I got him a copy of the 2nd book for Christmas this yearand he read it in 2 days. He would have finished it in a day except he started reading it late in the evening. He is so excited to get a copy of this 3rd book in the series. His teacher ordered a copy for the class. This week, it arrived and she had to draw names for the child who got to read it first. There was so much interest and excitement over reading this book! My son didn't get his name picked and was a good sport about it. He looks forward to reading the book soon. I just saw an ad in the paper that our local indie bookstore is having a weekend sale and we just may stop in and try to find a copy and give our business to a local bookstore. We hope to get there as soon as the weather warms up as it is currently 9 below zero with windchills at 20 to 30 below zero!! I plan to read the books as well so that I can understand the experience, they do look like fun books to read. I just love to see excitement and joy in a child over reading great books.
Some other details about this series:
- The series started off online at Funbrain.com in 2004. The author didn't plan to release the book on the internet but found the opportunity to reach millions of kids on Funbrain irresisitable. So, he published the book in the form of daily entries, much like a blog.
- All books are 224 pages. There are 2 more books in the series that will be published.
- Reading Level: 9-12 years old
- There is a movie version of the book being developed through Twentieth Century Fox and they are currently casting for the role of the main character, Greg. Details are on the Diary of a Wimpy Kid website. Check out the website for much more information.
Here is a neat sneak peak video to see how the 3rd book was printed. It's very interesting to see the process of how a book is printed.I would love to hear your comments on any of these questions:
- Have you or a child you know read this series and are they as excited as my son?
- What books have your children gotten excited about reading?
- Do you read the books that your children read? If so, which ones have you read and like or disliked?