Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review: Looking For Me by Beth Hoffman





I have had the honor to meet author Beth Hoffman on both of her book tours. For her first book Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and for her recent book Looking For Me. Not only do I adore Beth's books but I adore Beth as a person. She is authentic, kind and connects to her readers on a level that is very personal. I don't know how she does it all, she's truly an amazing woman!

I saw Beth last week at a local book signing and I posted about it here on my blog. I finished Looking For Me a few days ago. I savored the book and read it slowly not wanting the story to end. For those fans of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt which is full of such heart, I found Looking For Me was a much different story full of heart & soul, bringing a richness and depth that had much meaning. It is a book that will stay with you after you turn the last page.

About Looking For Me from the publisher:
Teddi Overman leaves her hardscrabble Kentucky farm life behind at the age of eighteen, running away in the middle of the night and leaving only a letter for each member of her family. In Charleston, South Carolina, Teddi builds a new life for herself as an antiques dealer with the help of a quirky group of new friends. But each time Teddi, now thirty-six years old, leaves her antiques shop and visits the farm of her youth, she’s drawn to the mysterious beauty of Red River Gorge, where her brother went missing at the age of seventeen. Though long believed to be dead, signs of Josh begin appearing in the woods near the family farm, drawing Teddi back home again.

Looking For Me is the heartfelt story of Teddi's journey from growing up on a Kentucky farm to her professional life in the world of Charleston antique shops and new found friendships and connections.  On the farm, Teddi is surrounded by nature and learns to appreciate the forest, the animals and their unique gifts. Teddi's younger brother Josh has an innate affinity for birds, Red Tailed Hawks and nature. Teddi finds her connection to the stories of cast aside antiques and develops a love and talent in restoring furniture. 

As I read this  book, even from the first chapter, I felt a connection to Teddi. As a character, she exposes her heart and soul, her kindness and compassion that goes beyond her family, her friends and coworkers but even to those innocent souls. She cares deeply and does not give up on finding the truth, whatever that may reveal as to the journey and whereabouts of her brother Josh. I enjoyed learning about nature, the Red River Gorge, birds and their feathers and native american history that was interspersed beautifully throughout the story. I enjoyed learning about antiques and furniture restoration and the process of how a damaged piece of furniture can be transformed. I loved the setting of Charleston, the southern flare and architecture, the people and Teddi's love and care for her grandmother. I loved the quotes and words of wisdom woven through the pages that filled it with such charm. 

Looking For Me is a treasure, pure and simple, it's a novel that will grab your heart and touch your soul. It did that for me and that is why I did not want the book to end. I loved this book, and cannot recommend it highly enough. It's my favorite book that I've read this year and it will definitely be placed alongside Saving CeeCee Honeycutt on my favorites bookshelf! It's a perfect summer must-read book, one that you can sink into while sitting in a favorite chair with a cup of coffee or sweet tea and immerse yourself into a wonderful story! So, grab a copy of this book and enjoy the journey!

I'd like to thank Beth for providing me with an advanced reader copy of Looking For Me. I was thrilled that I was able to get my copy personally autographed by her last week at the book signing. 

Check out a wonderful Q&A with Beth Hoffman and a giveaway for a copy of Looking For Me, compliments of the publisher Penguin Books. GO HERE to enter, or click on the link to the giveaway in the right sidebar, ends June 23, 2013



 © Copyright 2013- All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. I'm almost through with this book and I suspect Beth is very much like Teddi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bonnie ... what a beautiful review! Thank you so, so much. I'm delighted that you enjoyed my new novel and that you felt a deep connection to Teddi.

    It was so great to see you and Stacy at the library event, and I wish we could have spent more time together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it's a wonderful novel, Bonnie. And one I know I'll read again - something I rarely do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you feel a connection with the main character early on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your post and your interview. I totally agree with you. I just loved Looking For You. If you would like to read my review at http://susansliterarycafe.blogspot.com. You are right personally, she and I have had nice conversations together through fb.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!