Friday, June 25, 2010

Review: God Never Blinks: 50 Life Lessons for Life's Little Detours by Regina Brett

God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours



Regina Brett is a local newspaper columnist and her column is one that I read most every Sunday. Her articles are always relevant, thought provoking and deal with issues that most everyone can relate to. When she turned 45, she wrote a column on the 45 lessons life taught her. She added five more when she turned 50. The result is this book, God Never Blinks: 50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours.  I listened to an audio book version read by the author. The book is written in a conversational style and tone which works well in listening to the book. Ms. Brett is brutally honest about her life experiences as a single mother, going back to college as an adult, marrying, and being diagnosed with breast cancer. She shares the lessons that life has taught her through these experiences and more.

These lessons are thoughtful, tender, funny, and honest. Many are common sense themes that most everyone knows but need to be gently reminded of. These lessons are ones that can apply to most everyone in a variety of life situations. Many of the lessons apply to Ms. Brett's faith which has been part of her journey in life. I wasn't expecting as much faith based information and for me it was a bit heavy at times. Although I do think that others may find this information helpful in their own spiritual journeys.

Each chapter was geared toward a life lesson which worked well as Ms. Brett shared a story related to real life events. Some of my favorites were "Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of now" and "Breathe. It calms the mind". This is the kind of book that you can go back to and read a chapter that may relate to a certain life experience. It can be used as a reference book of sorts or an inspirational and motivational tool for others. This book would make a wonderful gift for anyone from teens to the elderly. It would especially make a great graduation gift, a milestone birthday gift and may help someone who is dealing with a loss or grieving.


Listen to an excerpt from God Never Blinks, here.

Visit Regina Brett's website, here.


Disclosure: Thanks to Hachette for sending me a copy of the audio book for review. I am an Amazon associate and Indiebound associate.





6 comments:

  1. Nice review, Bonnie. I'm adding it to my list (love listening to audiobooks these days!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review, Bonnie! This book sounds uplifting and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sounds of this one and would enjoy listening to it I'm sure!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to get hold of a copy of this book. Thanks for your wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great book and one I would probably prefer to listen to rather than read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy her column too. Were you able to go to her signing? I missed it :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!