Monday, February 15, 2010

Review: I am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne (Audiobook)




Reviewed by my husband Greg:

This review is for the three disk abridged audio book "I am Ozzy" by Ozzy Osbourne. Since I have a forty-five minute commute each way to work, it only took me a few days to listen to the entire audio book in my car. I will say that there was enough unusual material here to hold my interest and I can't say that I recall feeling the urge to yawn at any point. Roughly, the book is organized into five parts, the early years, lead singer in the band Black Sabbath, Ozzy strikes out on his own, the Osbournes, and finally concluding with an interview of Ozzy.


As expected, we learn about Ozzy's humble beginnings in a poor, yet large working class family, and his relationships with other family members, especially his father. We then learn about school life and how he gravitated to the role of crazy class clown which ultimately led him down the path of becoming the lead singer for the rock band Black Sabbath. Admittedly, I'm old enough to have been a fan of Black Sabbath in the early 70's so I found some of the folklore and trivia surrounding the formation and creative aspects of the band quite interesting. Ozzy has much to say about the dynamics of the various personalities in the band, including himself, along with the excesses that ensued.


Following the breakup of the band, Ozzy underwent some tough personal times. After meeting future wife Sharon, the daughter of a record producer, Ozzy rises again to musical success on his own culminating in "Ozzfests". Sharon is credited for managing Ozzy better than he manages himself. However, the drug and alcohol ridden lifestyle continues. The details of the animal head biting events are revealed as well.


Ozzy's career continues with the development of the TV show "The Osbournes" which boosts his popularity even further as he becomes a household name. His new popularity leads to appearances at events held by such figures as George Bush and the Queen of England. Yet in classic Ozzy style, he continues to act outrageously and once again, we see that Sharon is the main driving force behind promoting his success.


Ultimately, Ozzy seeks recovery, but it is a long process. He openly regrets the huge cost of his actions and even expresses a certain amount of amazement over his own survival. The book ends with an interview of Ozzy where he discusses the book and reflects on his life. You may have to listen carefully to understand what he's saying though. I should mention that the book itself is narrated by Frank Skinner who has a pleasant and understandable British accent which seemed fitting for this audio book. In the interview, Ozzy definitely shares some personal information, bares his soul a bit, and offers a precautionary perspective on the consequences of living, well to put it lightly, an indulgent lifestyle. Overall I found the audio book to be a quick and interesting listen which offers a personal glimpse into the legendary life of Ozzy.


Enter to win one of three copies of the I am Ozzy Audiobook, through my giveaway. Ends March 1st.  Click to Enter here, or click on the I am Ozzy picture to the left in the sidebar.

   







Disclosure: Thanks to Hachette Books for providing a copy of the audiobook for review. I am an Amazon associate.

5 comments:

  1. Carl and I listened to this and enjoyed it too! I plan to post my review tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I ran into Ozzy (literally) at one of my son's theatrical events and I found him to be incredibly charming and nothing like what the media portrayed him to be. My son is eager to read this book but I suspect that the subject matter is much too mature for an eleven-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved watching the Osbournes and getting a glimpse into Ozzy's crazy life. This actually sounds like a great book to listen to on cd. Thanks for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this is one I didnt think I would enjoy. Now that you describe it - I think I would find it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great listen in the car.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment!